(To serve 5: budgeted at 85p pp)
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 300g of mushrooms
- Salt & pepper
- Heat the oven to 200 deg C
- Melt two table spoons of butter in a casserole dish
- Add one crushed clove of garlic, along with a diced onion to the dish and allow to slowly sweat down in the oven
- peal and slice the sweet potatoes and layer over the top, adding a cup of water
- bring the oven temp up to 250 deg C
- finely chop the tomatoes and add them to the pot, covering the potato
- Once the sweet potato starts to soften, bring temp down to 180
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the casserole dish
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the cream; enough to cover the contents of the dish
- Stir all of the ingredients until the cream has mixed into the existing juices
- Put back in the oven for 20 mins
We’ve served our stroganoff with fluffy risotto rice, but why not try chucking some thick ribbon pasta into the pot instead (10 mins before the end).
For a vegan option replace butter and cream with olive oil and Alpro almond yogurt.
Missing meat, add beef, pork or chicken to the pot along with your onions and garlic.
We took our inspiration for this recipe from Pinterest.